Last week Dan and I were sitting down at lunch and we somehow got onto the topic of creating a website that just printed dots to the screen. As usual we got a bit carried away with the idea and decided that each dot could be an object and could be stored in a database and accessed through an API so that all created dots were stored for the future.
What began as a silly idea at the lunch table soon turned into a quick fun little project. Dan wrote most of the front-end code, I wrote most of the back-end API stuff, created the database, and registered a domain pointing to my VPS. We posted about it a fair bit over the weekend and it turned out to be quite popular among a couple of hundred people.
We hit our target of a million dots in a little over 2 days, and were both amazed it happened so quickly. Especially when you consider there is little-to-no reason for anyone to visit the site at all.
Anyway, we’re making changes to bits and bobs all the time at the moment. You can see the stats for your browser as well as the total on a new page, and there might be other little bits of analysis coming up in the future if we don’t get completely bored and do something else instead.